Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Update

Just thought I'd add a quick update. We had another nice day today. We got up this morning to go to the Baltimore farmer's market with Josh's aunt, uncle, cousin, and her 2 awesome kids. We wandered around the market a bit then took a break for some food. We got crepes for the kids and I decided to try some fresh juice. Fresh juice is always touted as the best, most healing thing you can put in your tummy and one of the books I got the other day talked about fresh juice and wheatgrass juice and how they're so magical at helping people with cancer.
Before I get into that, It's no secret that I'm pretty particular about food and where my food comes from, but I've never really been one to subscribe to any one specific type of dietary guidelines. I guess the closest I get is just being a big fan of Michael Pollan and his "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." guidelines. Josh and I try to eat organic and locally as much as possible, but beyond those guidelines, the only foods we avoid are ones we don't like and the ones we try to eat a lot are the ones we like. In any case, I've read a lot about juicing and how great it is and so I've been thinking about that a bit recently, checking out juicers and trying to decide if it's something worthwhile to try. I should point out that I'm not talking run of the mill OJ or anything like that, I'm thinking juices with veggies and greens and stuff (carrots, beets, kale, ginger, apple, spinach). Well, since there was a stand at the market selling exactly that...plus wheatgrass, I decided to give it a try and see how good....or not good...the juice would be. I decided on "The Energizer" with beets, carrots, apple and ginger. While it was being made, I got the pleasure of sampling a bit of wheatgrass juice as well. It tasted like artificially sweetened somewhat bitter grass (admit it, you've tasted grass at least once in your life). The juice, perhaps not surprisingly, was not too spectacular. The beets and carrots were just too strong, but I managed to get almost the whole thing down anyway. I think my adventures in juicing may have ended today, but I'll leave the door open for tamer fresh juices, like apple-ginger or pear or something like that.
We stayed a bit longer at the market, though it started closing up pretty quickly. We said our good-byes and Josh and I headed down to Trader Joe's our weekly shopping trip. Since I've had little to no appetite recently, picking out food was tough. I got some healthy snacks (and some sea-salt brownie bites...for electrolytes!), we got a few things resembling actual meals and by then I was really worn out so we just headed home. It's been a pretty lazy afternoon. I've spent a good chunk of time on the phone, tried to read a bit and just generally take it easy. I'm planning on going to work tomorrow and I'm just hoping I can work a good chunk of time before I start getting calls planning appointments and tests galore! I'm going to try to make a consultation appointment at the University of MD Cancer Center so I have some more treatment options besides the one I have right now (I'm just talking location of treatment, not type of treatment).
I'm totally frustrated that one of my main goals for the week is trying to figure out a workable solution for re-registering my car here in MD. I'm dealing with a huge nightmare trying to get it to pass inspection and right now my options are fix everything it needs (with some imaginary money I don't have) and register it here or take it to PA where it can pass an inspection easier and register it there (with some imaginary time I don't have). I so don't want to be dealing with that right now! Hopefully I'll be back with some more news tomorrow.

No comments: