Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Busy day

Well, I'm all done with all my procedures for the day and I'm doing good.
I got another pretty good night of sleep and I just wanted to keep sleeping in. They did come in early for vitals and to take more blood, but then they left me alone. My nurse Joy stopped by to tell me that surgery was thinking of taking me a bit earlier than 2, but she wasn't sure how that would effect my bone marrow biopsy. I had a sorta bad migraine that time when i woke up and got some tylenol that i knew wouldn't help. I figured that since the biopsy was coming up soon and I'd be getting a lot of drugs for that, I could hold out for those meds.
Dr. Cross came for my biopsy around 10 I think. I'd still been sleeping when he got here. I got up to go to the bathroom before they started. I made sure they gave me all the drugs they could. My nurse Joy kept asking if I was feeling the meds and I kept saying no. She was trying to get me rolled over on my belly before they kicked in. Just as I started to turn over they kicked in and I started getting groggy. Dr. Cross came in to get started. He did an awesome job. I think the most painful part was the lidocaine numbing injection. Even the aspiration, which is supposed to be the most painful part, just felt like a pinch. All in all, it was way less painful than Dr Chhabra's attempt and he hardly even touched bone.
After the biopsy, I was really bored, but groggy, so TV and reading were both out. Instead I decided that I would call my family and some friends to let them know I was ok. I'm sure everyone enjoyed phone calls from drugged up me. I hung out for awhile and was chatting with my roommate when they came to get me for surgery. I got all set up and then they drove me downstairs to pre-op. I was in pre-op for awhile while they all interviewed me. I was chatting with all the anesthesia people and a surgery resident and some nurses. Eventually the surgeon came back to answer a few questions and sign off to take me to the OR. I got to see the port before they put it in, but I think some of the meds they gave me cause a bit of amnesia, so I don't remember it much. Again, I just remember waking up in the OR and getting taken back to recovery. My port ended up in my left side because I guess they had trouble getting it in on the left. It doesn't feel too bad. I found out in recovery that Josh had gotten here and so they let him come back. The whole port thing took a lot longer than expected I guess....I'm not sure why. I think it was around 5:30 when they finally got me back up to my room.
Once I got up here, I got settled in, got my pj pants back on and got my new IV taped up a little better. I have some pretty gnarly bruises from the port surgery, but it doesn't hurt (yet). I ate my dinner, then Josh and I took a walk across the hospital to the Blimpie so Josh could get food. It was nice to take a walk and probably good to keep my hip from getting too sore.
Chemo is on the schedule for tomorrow, but I'm not really sure what time. I'm keeping the computer tonight since I'm not going anywhere tomorrow so I can keep an eye on it all day. Anyway, I'll post more/longer updates tomorrow.
Thanks to all my Tufts buddies for the cool package I got in the mail! I really enjoyed the cool treats!

No comments: