

So I'm not the only member of the household with cancer. Fudgey, my super-rat*, has been dealing with a series of tumors for over a year now, most of which have been benign mammary tumors that old female rats tend to get. When we lived up in Mass, we had an incredible vet who took great care of her and removed 3 of her tumors, one of which was most likely a fibrosarcoma (=cancer). I had decided around the time we moved that I wasn't going to put her through any more surgeries because she's just too old and the risks outweigh the benefits. She's had a few more tumors pop up, but none of them have given her any problems until recently. When I got home today, I could tell that she's lost weight since I've been gone. She's still getting around ok, so that's a good sign. She could definitely use some happy thoughts though!!*(For anyone who doesn't know Fudgey's story, here it is: I adopted 2 rats, Lily & Bea, from school several years ago. They were the two best pets I have ever had. They died unexpectedly not too long after we moved to Mass and I was heartbroken. I decided I wanted to get some new rats and looked into adopting some from a rat rescue (yes, rat rescues exist!). After a few days, I found out about Fudgey. A really sweet woman named Linda had caught and rescued Fudgey in New Hampshire. Fudgey had been a feeder rat at a pet store right next to Linda's fudge shop/cafe. The pet store closed and as all the feeder rats were being sold, Fudgey somehow escaped. She took up residence in the building and was spotted looting the fudge shop. Linda and her husband tried for months to catch her. Finally, after about 6 months, they caught Fudgey. They put her in a cage and tried to figure out what to do with her and to their surprise, 3 days after her capture, Fudgey, the albino pink eyed, white rat gave birth to 9 dark brown, black eyed babies. She had mated with a wild male rat and somehow survived. Linda got in touch with a rat rescue in Mass and they worked on finding her and her new babies a new home. I was really intrigued by Fudgey's story and in the end, I adopted Fudgey and two of her daughters, Mocha and Cocoa. The "babies" are nearly 2 years old and Fudgey is at least 8months older than they are, so she's a really senior rat (2-3 is a normal rat lifespan). She has had a pretty incredible ratty life and I've been glad to share my home with her for the past 2 years.)

No comments:
Post a Comment