Friday, October 16, 2009

Chemo Round 1, treatment 1

I've been getting my chemo for a little over an hour now. I'm happy to report that I've felt nothing yucky so far (though that could change at any moment). I didn't "taste" the adriamycin and besides the fact that it's making my pee pink (the adriamycin is hawaiian punch red kool-aid red), I've noticed nothing weird going on. I'm almost done with the vinblastine then I get a 2hr drip of the D, dacarbazine. After that, my first treatment is done. I've been getting all kinds of germ warnings all day. I knew this would make me immunocompromised, but I wasn't counting on everyone freaking out about my pets at home. Apparently they'll only be worried for a couple days after my chemo treatment, but it's still annoying. The animal germs are just part of my environment and I'm accustomed to them, so hopefully it won't be too big a deal. It just sounds like hand washing and hand sanitizer will be playing a big role in my life in the next few days.
My big success of the afternoon was convincing my nurse to get rid of the IV in my left hand. When they replaced it after my surgery on wednesday, they put it in a really annoying spot. It seemed like the slightest movement upset it and caused my IV pump to start beeping. Since they connected my IV to my port this morning, the one in my hand has just been really sore and it was only getting worse. I kept pestering my nurse to find out if we could remove it and she finally confirmed that I didn't need it anymore, so out it came. I'm a much happier camper now!
I'm working on convincing my body that it doesn't need to freak out and get sick from the chemo. Maybe I can psychosomatically make myself feel ok. A girl can hope...
I'm also totally disappointed because my nurse mentioned that usually they let people have private rooms when they start chemo. My new neighbor is kinda stinky and has had a stream of visitors (one of whom answered his cell phone "Hey Poopie!!"). A private room would be awesome. Hopefully I can just get home soon and have a whole private apartment to myself.

No comments: