Sunday, October 25, 2009

Oven!

No health news today. I've been feeling pretty much ok all day, except for a bit of leftover pain from my bone marrow biopsy.
We actually had a rather full day today. I've mentioned before that our lovely apartment doesn't have an oven. I decided today that I was going to remedy that and finally just go ahead and buy the toaster/convection oven that I've had my eye on for awhile, the Breville SmartOven. We headed up to the mall in Columbia to walk around, do some window shopping and pick up the oven at Williams Sonoma. We amused ourselves wandering in a bunch of different stores. I'm dying for the day when I have enough money to seriously deck out my kitchen at Williams Sonoma...there are so many cool gadgets and goodies in there! I also found the most incredible thing ever: a LoveSac. I've been searching for a giant beanbag type couch that I can also use as a bed. Since the saga of the perfect $50 craigslist couch that wouldn't fit in our apartment, we've been kind of lacking in furniture. We did pick up a pretty nice Ikea couch in the As-Is section of the store, despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with it. It's nowhere near as comfy as the aforementioned craigslist couch...and also no match to the free craigslist couch we had in Boston (Josh wouldn't let me move it because the cats kinda wrecked it). Anyway, the whole issue with the couch is that Josh and I both have issues sleeping and I frequently sleep on the couch so we're not keeping each other awake all night. Since we moved, I've only had the narrow Ikea couch which really isn't ideal. I got the idea from another blog I read to check out giant beanbags that can be used as both a couch as well as an extra bed. I mentioned in one of my first entries the Corda-Roy's bean bag beds which basically consist of a bed sized pillow inside a round cover. When it's in the cover, it's like a bean bag chair/couch, but take it out of the cover and you have a spare bed (or 2). The LoveSac is more what I'm looking for though, it's just a giant sac of foam that you can sit on or lay on or whatever. They have a store at the mall, so we went in and tried them out. I tried the SuperSac first, which is their second largest size, but it just wasn't right. When I sat on the BigOne though, it was instant love. I was so tempted to buy that instead of the oven, but I need to do some more financial planning before I can afford the LoveSac. It was pretty incredible though, just like your own snuggly nest. I blew Josh's mind when I mentioned how comfy it would be to curl up on the BigOne with my new Fluffie Blanket. So, if anyone was wondering what I want for Christmas, it's the big giant LoveSac.
After we got the oven, we headed to TJ's to get groceries, then we came back home. We got the oven all set up (and got rid of the stinky microwave that came with out apartment). We made a loaf of banana bread to try out the oven and so far so good. I haven't tried the bread yet and I think I may have overloaded it with banana, but it looks normal. It took about 20 min. less to cook the bread in the Smartoven that it would in a normal oven. We also discovered that one of our pizza pans that we already have fits perfectly in the oven, so now we have 2 pizza trays (the oven came with one of it's own). I'm thinking I might have to have a pizza party sometime soon since I haven't done that in quite some time.
We rented the first Harry Potter movie from iTunes and just finished watching it a little bit ago. It was pretty cool, though the book was much more detailed and entertaining. I'm going to try to take the movies slower than the books. Still working on 6, then someone needs to bring me book 7 (I'll bake something yummy for whoever brings me book 7 ;-)
I should be off to bed. Work is the plan for tomorrow. (And the cat just brought an escaped cricket into the bedroom to maim....this should be entertaining. I wish the cats would learn to just eat the escapee crickets rather than maiming them and leaving lame crickets all over the house!)

1 comment:

Barba--- said...

One really needs an oven. Almost the first item I bought when I started studying and I still have it!