I'm pretty sure I posted something awhile back about my car fiasco, but I have an update to the story. The car fiasco started exactly 2 days after my cancer diagnosis. Basically, I'd been putting of registering my can in MD (because I'm lazy). At the end of September, when it's Mass registration expired, I took my car to get it inspected since I needed an inspection certificate to re-register it in MD. I decided to take the car to this nice looking garage about a mile from our house. When they called me to let me know my car was finished, the mechanic gave me a list of things my car needed to pass inspection. All together, it was close to $3000 worth of work, most of which was completely ridiculous (i.e. replacing the entire window switch motor assembly when all that's broken is the tiny plastic nubbin you push to raise or lower the window...they wanted $450 to repair it when I could use some glue or epoxy to fix the plastic nubbin. Also, a $125 lug nut). I panicked when I got that call. I panicked even more than I did at the doctor's office 2 days earlier when I was told I had lymphoma. Ever since then, I've been trying to come up with a viable, affordable, relatively simple option to get my car registered. I thought about registering it in PA at my mom's house and had explored some different options here in MD. I finally came up with a workable solution: titling it in MD and getting a temporary 30-day registration so I could have more time to get the truly necessary work done (like the new drive belts) and figure out how to deal with the bull-shit work (like the window switch). In any case, being sick, then being in the hospital put all that off and so in addition to dealing with my illness, I've have this huge background stress of needing to get the car taken care of. It's been really frustrating.
So today, I finally had everything ready to go to the MVA and get the temporary registration taken care of. I was also planning on switching my driver's license. I got there and went to do the license stuff first only to find out that I didn't have all the documents I needed (despite having a backpack full of documents!). I was annoyed and decided then to just wait until tomorrow morning to do everything. Before I left though, I remembered that I had 2 questions about the registration, so I decided to get in line to ask them so I could be sure to have everything all set for tomorrow. When I finally got to the front of the line, I asked my first question. On the MVA website, I had seen mention of a comment about people returning to MD: " If your car was originally titled in MD, you don't need to apply for a new title, just a duplicate title." I wanted to check on the wording. Originally, my car was titled in PA. It was titled in MD after that though for 2 years before we moved to Mass. I wasn't sure if this counted. Well, I asked the lady and she said it did and started dealing with all my paperwork. She asked if I wanted to do the registration too and I began to tell her about the whole inspection fiasco. She cut me off with the best news I've gotten in weeks. Since my car had already been titled in MD and already passed a MD inspection 4 yrs ago, I didn't have to do the inspection again! I was pretty much speechless. I had to wait for awhile to get everything processed, but I left with actual plates, not just a temporary registration. I'm good for 2 years and now I have as much time as I want to get the rest of my car work taken care of. I'm so super thrilled about the whole thing. The MD MVA is generally a total pain in the ass and a lot of their requirements are totally annoying, but for today at least, I totally love them!! YAY!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great news! Hope more good news will follow soon!
that's the first nice thing i've ever heard about the md mva..that's great
Post a Comment