Friday, October 16, 2009

All done

I finished up my chemo around 5:30 or so, right as they brought my dinner. I'm still holding up ok. I ate my whole dinner, plus a little of the chinese food Jenny brought for us (thanks Jenny!!). We took a couple laps around the unit and a quick walk downstairs for my new internet passcode and a bag of M&M's (I wanted some chocolate and luckily, M&M's aren't a favorite of mine, so I didn't break the No. 1 cardinal chemo rule: don't eat your favorite foods on chemo). I got a whole shower tonight, complete with the use of both hands (no IVs...YAY!). My daytime nurse was highly amused by the fact that the chemo nurse practitioner actually wrote in my chart "Get patient up for a shower," like I'm an invalid or something. Of course that was nothing compared to the tech who thoroughly confused me this morning by asking if I was wet. I've had awful night sweats so my gown had been damp, but my nurse had helped me change it. I must have had a confused look on my face as I started to tell the tech that no, I was fine, but my bed sheets could use changing since they were a bit damp too. As I hesitated, she repeated her questions, louder: "Are you wet? Do you have a diaper on??" Umm, no! I was definitely not that kind of wet. I don't think they're accustomed to many 26yr old patients around here (a good thing, but slightly annoying at times).
Since my hands are free, I'm getting even more independence and glad to be doing stuff on my own. I'm happy to take it easy and get well, but at the same time, I don't like being treated like I'm so sick I can't do anything. I'm trying to get up and around to kick mr. hodge's butt.
Well, that's pretty much it for the night. I'm still working on convincing my body that it doesn't need to get sick from the chemo, so hopefully it'll be an ok night. I'll be back tomorrow with more updates but for now I need to get going to send Josh home since he's falling asleep in my bed here.

No comments: