Thursday, May 20, 2010

Today's update (with lots of mentions of pee, so watch out if you're squeamish!)

Well today was an adventure.
I actually managed to get some actual sleep last night for more than just an hour or two at a time. I think I only had to change clothes once or twice, though I'll admit that at one point, that just meant changing into my bathrobe and calling it a night. Regardless, I didn't sweat enough to drench the thick terrycloth bathrobe, so that was pretty good.
I left a bit early for my lab work appointment, knowing that the office also does walk-ins. I got there about 20min before my appointment and walked into a PACKED waiting room. I learned that apparently, making an appointment means very little. They didn't even call me up to start filling out paperwork until 15min after my scheduled time and in the end, I think I got to jump in line in from of one walk-in because of my being on the schedule. That's not normally something I would complain about (I'm just talking about complaining in general, like I'm doing right now) but it was pretty frustrating since the only reason I scheduled the appointment rather than just walking in was to limit the time I had to be out of the house and out of bed while feeling very sick (and fasting).
Anyway, the lab orders were for a bunch of blood and urine tests and I knew right away things weren't looking good when I peed in their cup and realized how dark my urine was a how dehydrated that meant I probably was. I figured the rest of my day was probably going to be spent debating at what point I needed to just give in and go to the ER for fluids and a 5 day straight fever. I had brought some juice with me in the car for after the appointment and when I left, I started drinking as much of it as I could to try to get the fluids in me. I was home for about 5 minutes before all of that juice came right back up, making me feel even worse (in all possible ways).
I got myself settled back in bed with some tylenol and some more juice to slowly sip and was trying to take it easy. I got in the whole 16 oz mug and was started on some more juice when I decided to call Dr. Ampey's office to check in with them and let them know that the skin in my armpits was actually coming off. I spoke with Chris the nurse for awhile and filled her in on everything: skin coming off, 102.6 fever yesterday, worsening night sweats, my conversation with Dr. Modi yesterday.... She went to consult with Dr. Ampey and called me back in about 5 minutes asking if I could just come in to the office ASAP since they wanted to check me out before 1:30 tomorrow (my appt time with Dr Modi). I re-filled my cup with juice, grabbed another can of juice (a spritzer not nasty canned red drink or anything!) and headed out. I threw on yoga pants and a t-shirt over the tanktop nightgown I was wearing and it ended up being so hot in the car combined with my fever, that I arrived at the office wearing just the nightgown and yoga pants, a combo which really should never leave the house.
Chris took me back and checked all my vitals and we discovered that my heart really didn't like me standing up, but my blood pressure both sitting and standing were in normal range. My temp was only 98 (I can't think the last time I've had a fever on a doctor's office thermometer...it always disappears the moment I walk in the door). Chris wanted to check the color of my urine, which I figured would be much better since I'd had about 30 oz. to drink in the couple hours between the lab and getting to the doctor's office. I totally failed that test! She made an awful face when she saw it and said she'd let Dr. Ampey know and then he'd be in. I texted Josh, certain they were going to send me right over to the ER for fluids. Little did I know Dr. Ampey's slightly evil plan....
He came in and tested my urine with a little dipstick and explained each one of the panels to me. Basically, it said I was very dehydrated and hadn't been eating (both true). But rather than IV fluids, his plan just involved water. In a cup. To drink.
He sent Chris off for a cup of water from their water cooler and I started drinking the spritzer I'd brought with me. He had me there with a drink in each hand, basically instructing me to chug it as quickly as I could. I told him I'd probably vomit all over his floor if I did that, but he kept pushing me and telling me to just not think about puking. By the second cup of water, he decided he wanted me to be getting sugar too, so he started having Chris stir sugar packets from their coffee station into my water cups. He sat with me while I drank the first 4 cups, checking out my armpits*, explaining dehydration to me, talking about med school a bit, all kinds of stuff. After that, he headed back to his office and left me alone to drink, with the door open so Chris could make sure I wasn't cheating and pouring any of the 3 remaing cups + my spritzer down the sink (crossed my mind, but I wouldn't have acted on it!). I think it took about 45min to get all the water and the spritzer down, with several breaks so I wouldn't puke on their floor. Chris and I chatted about books a bit and I said hi to Ava, who was happy, but not happy to see me there. I finally couldn't hold it anymore, I got to pee again and instead of looking like ginger ale, it looked pretty clear and the little test strip came up totally normal. I was sent on my way with instructions to try to drink a gallon of fluids a day (yikes, though I'm most of the way there for today and I only started at 1:30!). I still get to see Dr. Modi tomorrow and I see Chris again on Tuesday, though she's supposed to be calling me tomorrow to check in.
I'm really thankful that I didn't end up over at the ER. Drinking all that water was a pain and kinda gross, but I think it was the more pleasant option in the end. Dr. Ampey is pretty sure I just had some kind of virus and am spiking residual fevers because of that. He said the extra fluids should help me keep my body cool, stay less nauseated and feel less spacey. I did manage to not throw up my dinner tonight, so that's a start I guess. I thought it was really nice of him to take a half hour to sit right there with me while I drank, even if he was a little pushy (in a kind way). I went to pay my co-pay before I left and Dana the secretary ran in the back to ask Dr. Ampey how to code it and he told her to not even worry about it. The staff at that office is all just so great!
I'll be back with an update from Dr. Modi tomorrow.

*Both Chris and Dr. Ampey thought my armpit skin looked fine and was healing, despite how it looks and feels. Apparently once it's purple, that means it's healing. They gave me a bunch of sample tubes of Aquaphor to use and that was about it. Besides that, just the ice pack/cold compress recommendation. The Aquaphor was burning after about 30 min and a second application at home didn't help, so I wiped it all off and I have ice packs under each armpit for now. I think I'm just gonna have to suck it up until this heals...hopefully soon!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Whoa what an intense day. Sheeeeesh girl. I am happy to hear that you came out of it without going to the ER! As far as the Aquafor, I'd dump it. Allow me to recommend something that I used for super dry skin and rash when I was taking Tarceva (which they also recommend Aquafor for). Keys Soap Tortuga Lotion. http://www.keys-soap.com/ You can buy it at Roots.

Jessica said...

I'll check that out. I'd been wanting to avoid the aquaphor, but I was pretty desperate, so I gave it a try.

Unknown said...

Well, this just SUCKS! Jess,it amazes me that you are able to maintain your sense of humor. I'll be checking back in hopes that you will still be hydrated and feeling much better.