Tuesday, May 4, 2010

10/15 - itchy!

Today's treatment was pretty uneventful. Tuesday is the day they take x-rays to double check everything, so I have to be bolted down a little longer than normal. It's no fun to be bolted down when you have a migraine, but I did ok. They've added a new block to block my voice box. It's gotten all the radiation it needs, so now it won't get anymore.
After talking with the nurse Chris today, I decided to remove the Fentanyl patch. I've been incredibly itchy all over since I stuck it on and since the itching was only getting worse, she said I could take it off if I wanted to. I don't know that it was doing all that much for the pain anyway. I had been feeling pretty loopy from it yesterday, so I'm glad to be rid of it. I think I'm going to stick with Aleve for pain and hopefully that'll be enough.
Right now, the pain isn't too bad. I'm really just having problems when I swallow. It's just this weird lumpy feeling, like I've got some large chunk of food stuck in my throat every time I swallow. It doesn't matter if I'm eating or drinking, it still feels yucky to swallow. It takes me a really long time to eat or drink and that's kinda frustrating, especially since I need to stay hydrated. I've had a migraine all day from not eating enough yesterday I think. Chris sent me home with a packet of smoothing recipes (they mostly look really gross!!), but even that wouldn't help since I'd still have to swallow a smoothie. I'll just keep toughing it out and I should be fine. I don't think there's a kind of medicine to help this feeling.

We got the truck back from the garage in perfect running condition today, so that's a huge relief for both Josh and me. He said it's driving better than it was before the break-down. I'm just thrilled that I don't have to get out of bed at 6am to drive Josh to the metro tomorrow morning!

I was at work for about 5 hours today. I think everyone is taking turns being out sick and I'm wondering who it's gonna be next. So long as they don't pass their contagious illnesses on to me, I'm good! I didn't go in yesterday because I was in pretty bad shape, but I should be good for the rest of the week. I'm trying to work out a plan for getting back to work full time once rads are done. It's going to be so strange once everything gets all back to normal!!

I really can't wait till I stop itching!!

1 comment:

Rose said...

SO GLAD to hear the good news about the truck! Yay!

Also, now that you mention it, Fentanyl made me itchy too. They just reduced the dose in my case, but that is a lot easier to do when it is going in via a tube versus in a patch. Plus mine was for post-surgery pain so I really needed it. I would never want to take that stuff for pleasure--seems beyond weird to me...yet a nurse told me a story about someone opening discarded fentanyl patches and drinking them!!! YUCK!