Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Moving on!

So things still look good for our upcoming move. Here are some details for the curious: the new place is in a private house that is made up of 3 living spaces: the main house, plus an addition with 2 apartments. We'll be getting the upstairs apartment which is actually on the ground floor (we realized there are absolutely no steps which is a giant bonus for moving!). It has really nice hardwood floors throughout the whole apartment and nice green paint. The kitchen has a little counter thing we can put stools at and actually have a place to eat meals that's not the couch or the bed! There's one big bedroom and one smaller one, both of which are bright and sunny with lots of closet space. The bathroom has a tub so I can take baths again (on the rare rare occasions I want to). For anyone who has seen either our Malden bathroom or the bathroom here at our current place, we're going to have the luxury of a bathroom that more than 1 person can comfortably fit into at once! Extra bonus: there's a window just over the tub that we can uncover when we give Bombshell baths, then she can sit on the windowsill in the sun to dry! There's a big back deck with steps down to the yard and a bunch of nice garden boxes we'll be free to use. The landlady (who lives in the main part of the house) said she can't garden anymore because of back problems, so we can plant whatever we want (we'll be sure to share with her). As for location, it's not too far from where we are now. I'm not completely sure what town it's in, but I think it's Calverton, which seems to be more a conglomeration of houses than an actual town. It's a bit NW of here. It'll end up being about the same distance to Patuxent and a little farther for Josh to get to the metro (driving time won't be much different, but it's too far to bike...I think). The only inconveniences are that the stove is another flat top electric stove and that the washer/dryer are coin-op (though in the apartment itself). The landlady mentioned taking $25 or 30 off the rent to make up for the laundry if we don't do unreasonable amounts of laundry. I guess she put them in because she had a problem with previous tenants doing insane amounts of laundry which was putting her out since she's including all utilities. If I can stop sweating through 2 pairs of PJs a night, we'll be all set! We'll probably be moving the last weekend of Jan. which will be a chemo weekend, so we'll need as much local help as we can get. I've promised not to pack any big boxes of books like last time! I can provide the obligatory pizza/beer for anybody who helps! (I already feel like a turd that I'll just be sitting there while everyone else does the hard stuff).

I'm still on for my PET scan tomorrow. I'm going nuts with the diet restrictions for the scan, but at least it's not colonoscopy prep! I'll just make sure to have a big thing of juice waiting when I finish...and pasta for dinner (no carbs for 24hrs before a PET scan). Josh and I tried to run some errands yesterday and I just about died before we got home. I guess I'd sort of forgotten I was only 3 days post chemo and thought a quick mall trip + grocery shopping would be ok. I'm ok now, but I was in really rough shape by the time we made it home. I know not to do that again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I used to think electric stoves were fine, and then I started cooking on a gas stove... now I'm spoiled. :-/ You'll manage.

Sounds like a great apartment, though! I wish I could be there to help you move.

Rose said...

Oh this sounds so good! Yay!