Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving & other ramblings!

Josh and I had a really nice Thanksgiving. On Thursday, I cooked an entire traditional Thanksgiving dinner for just the two of us. My main motive was a turkey carcass to make broth out of. The rest was just a bonus. I made everything from scratch except I guess the bread for the stuffing. It all turned out really yummy and we've been enjoying the leftovers ever since. (Also, this morning, I stocked the freezer with 8 quarts of stock. Sadly, that'll only last us a few weeks at the rate I go through it!).
On Friday, we drove down to Charlottesville, VA to visit Josh's brother, his girlfriend, her parents and some of their friends for a second Thanksgiving (this time with roast beef!). We had a really nice time down there as well. We spent the night and left early Saturday so Josh could get back to the birdyard for work.
Sunday was Josh's birthday (29!) and I took him out for lunch at Temari, the awesome Japanese restaurant. We tried new menu items again and they were, once again, very tasty! I've decided that that restaurant is some sort of mecca for pregnant Japanese women...there were no less than 4 there on Sunday and the place only has about a dozen tables!
I spent the rest of Sunday hunting down a pair of white crocs for work. It took 3 stores to find them, but I ended up near a Lego store, so Josh got a bonus birthday present of a Lego Space Police set. I had to make sure he'd finished his homework before playing with his new toy (he had!).
I'm switching to a more part-time schedule at work which I'm simultaneously happy and anxious about. Basically, right now I'm just starting at whatever time I feel like in the AM, so long as I'm there by lunch time. It's nice to have the extra time, but today I filled those extra hours worrying about getting my COBRA health insurance set up, bills, and the lovely discovery that apparently my iTunes account was hacked so I get to deal with iTunes and the bank to get everything sorted out. It's pretty frustrating because it appears to just be an erroneous $50 charge to my bank account, but it's going to result in dealing with both iTunes and my bank and the hassle of getting a new bank card and having to change all my online bill pay accounts once I have a new card number. At least everyone is being cool about it so far and thankfully it's a pretty minor blip.
The COBRA thing is more of a major blip and I'm currently trying to decide if I want to risk choosing a lower premium plan with higher potential costs or sticking with my current plan and only slightly high potential costs should I need any serious medical care in the coming year. Even just considering my current meds and the things I know I'll need in the coming year (a couple PET scans, some checkups, bloodwork...), the lower premium plan looks like it could get crazy really fast. No matter which route I go, I'll be paying a lot of money. I should probably get used to it as I bet affordable medical care is something you have to wave bye-bye to after a cancer diagnosis. I'm still keeping a look out for job opportunities since my current job won't be financially feasible for long. As much as I'd love the chance to work part-time and recoup a bit, it's just not realistic.
To end on a more cheery note, I saw this movie trailer earlier and it was so sweet it made me cry, so I thought I'd share. I won't get to see it until it comes out on DVD since our recent Harry Potter movie experience convinced me even further to stay away from movie theatres (instant migraine recipe, even if I wear sunglasses through the movie...sad...). So, here it is...enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend/holiday including birthday!
Hmm, insurance is always a hassle...Goodluck!
I want to see that movie too!

Anonymous said...

Haha, we probably passed each other on the road in Charlottesville on Friday! Alex and I were down for T'giving as well.