Monday, November 1, 2010

Officially Unemployed

This week marks my first week of official unemployment. I started it out with a job interview, so hopefully there won't be too many weeks of unemployment. I've actually had a few interviews so far, but nothing has worked out yet. I'm looking at vet tech type jobs and most people want someone with experience. I'm basically just hoping I can find someone who is willing to train me on the job.
We're not really sure what we want to do in regards to staying in this area vs. moving to Ithaca. I think I can speak for us both when I say that we'd both really like to just leave things as they are for now. I don't want to have to pack and move again and deal with finding a new apartment, scrounging up a security deposit, moving the critters, etc. Plus, Josh really loves school and would like to hang around for that. The community college he goes to is really nice (it is! I got to visit for the first time today and see it myself!) and very affordable. Ithaca is very appealing and I hope we'll eventually end up there, but I'd like to be able to plan that move at a leisurely pace instead of as a spontaneous move.

On a totally unrelated note, we went out to get Josh a drafting/drawing table last week and in our trek to find it, we ended up right down the road from Temari Japanese Cafe, the place where we had the awesome ramen I wrote about awhile back. We decided to skip ramen this time and try totally different things. Josh ended up getting salmon teriyaki and I had tonkatsu (yummy breaded, fried pork chop). It was definitely one of the best restaurant meals I've ever had. Both of our meals came with a small salad with super yummy dressing, miso soup, rice and those neon yellow Japanese pickles (I think they're pickled daikon radish...I'm not a fan though). I also got a scoop of Japanese potato salad (it's got potatoes, eggs, carrots, onion and cucumber w/ mayo). Josh's salmon literally melted in my mouth. It had a slight smoky flavor and it was soooo good! It's a good thing the menu is as small as it is because there's still a bunch of things I want to try. If the menu were bigger, I'd have to eat there every night!
Also on a food related note, we finally have a semi-local Wegmans. It's only about 15 miles from here and pretty easily accessible. The new store opened on Oct. 24 and it's pretty fancy. Their Market Cafe is the largest I've seen at a Wegmans and includes not just Chinese food, but also Thai and Indian. They also have hot and cold vegetarian bars, a homestyle food bar (pork bbq, mac n' cheese, jambalaya) and a salad bar. They also have the standard subs, pizza and sushi, plus fancy sandwiches, burritos and a guy making crab cakes. The rest of the store is pretty standard Wegmans fare. They have Waygu beef for $50/lb and truffles for $200/lb or something. It amuses me that they sell such insanely gourmet expensive things right across the store from spaghettios and 10/$1 ramen. Something for everyone I guess! I was mostly just entertained by the comments of people who have never been to a Wegmans before. It definitely puts the Giants and SuperFreshes to shame. I don't know that we'll actually be shopping there much, but I'm happy to have them close for Wegman's subs cravings (or Waygu beef needs if I land a super well paying job!...or maybe I should just become a Waygu beef farmer...).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll light a candle for you!