Thursday, October 21, 2010

Follow-ups

I had an appointment with Dr. Sharma yesterday and one with Dr. Ampey today. Both of them think I look great and that I'm doing well. Dr. Sharma went so far to say that in his opinion, I'm cured. I didn't really appreciate that, seeing as it's only been 6 months. I know my prognosis is excellent, but I think it's jumping the gun to call me cured 6 months out. I prefer cautious optimism.
My visit with Dr Ampey this morning was excellent, as usual. He had a bunch of suggestions for helping my brain (he and I were both disappointed in Dr. Sharma's lack of suggestions/advice). Dr. Ampey suggested puzzle books (which I already have a ton of), memory games (anybody wanna play with me? or let their kids play with me?) and physical exercise. Basically, I just need to rehab my brain, just like someone would rehab their knee after surgery.
Other than that, Dr. Ampey just gave me a bit of a pep talk which was helpful, considering all the stress from work/home. I know that tough times are always just temporary and things will get better, but it's sometimes tough to remember that in the midst of the tough times. I've gotten a bunch of job rejections, but I'm still sending lots of applications out. Yesterday, a job was posted taking care of the cows I drive by on my way to work everyday (they live on a USDA run research farm) and I'm definitely applying for that. I don't have much cow experience (or tractor driving or fence repair experience), but maybe some of my bird experience can make up for that. I also found an awesome job at Cornell that would be perfect for me and, though it's only part time, living in Ithaca might be cheap enough that I could get away with just part time work. Then I could rehab my brain for the rest of the day!
We're still just taking it one day at a time. Hopefully I'll have some answers and solutions in the near future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.gotofreegames.com/matchgame/free_concentration_game.htm

If you're out of brain rehab friends.....

Happy things are looking good concerning the sickness, the rest will take time but I am sure it will work out!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Hugs,
Irene