Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New job

So yesterday was the first day of my new job. I'm working in a small (but busy, I learned) veterinary ophthalmology office. The office is owned by a vet and he has 3 women who work for him, all of whom seem to have worked there for quite awhile. One of the women is the office manager, another is best at helping with surgery/procedures and the third (who is pregnant and due in a month) seems to be equally skilled at everything. Nonetheless, everyone is trained to do everything from receptionist duties to scrubbing in and assisting with surgeries.
Well, shortly after I got there yesterday, the women who helps with surgeries(CH) went home sick. The plan had been that she would assist with the morning's surgery while the office manager (CO) showed me the computer system. Since CH went home, that meant CO would have to scrub in for surgery, so we scrapped the computer plan. The office generally schedules a few appointments in the morning, followed by surgery at from 10-1, then appointments again until 5. The morning went pretty smooth and I was pretty much just following people around watching and absorbing how they do things. After the surgery got finished, we had lunch and then everything went crazy. The dog who was having surgery today was having some urgent issues that needed to be checked, so we squeezed him in for an appointment, then the 1:30 appointment didn't show, but when we got a hold of them, they wanted to be squeezed in at 3:45. The 3:30 similarly didn't show up until 4:30. In between all of that, we had a yellow lab come in who needed an eyelid tumor removed, which is apparently a pretty simple procedure. Yesterday, it wasn't! We had a hard time getting the lab fully sedated and then his eyelid bled much more than normal. Add to that me getting a migraine and it was pretty hectic there for a little bit! When we woke the lab up, he flipped out (I would too!), puked and then started trying to run all over when we needed him to be still. CO and I ended up practically laying on the floor on top of the lab to keep him still and calm! I think we saw a couple more appointments after that and I finally got sent home at 5:30 or so.
Right before I left, my migraine got suddenly worse and so I ended up driving home puking the entire way home. I scared Josh half to death when I came in the door with a cup of puke and ran to the bathroom to throw up some more. I had him go out to the car and get my bag and stuff and I pretty much just crawled into bed. I was up puking until Josh had to go to class about 45min later and then I guess I fell asleep. When he got home I woke up and was able to keep some toast down. I went to sleep again seriously wondering if I was going to be able to make it at my new job. It's a lot more active than my old job and there are some unpredictable elements that seem to be recipes for frequent migraines.
Today, however, I feel much better about the whole thing! Today was much less hectic and we had two cancellations, so we weren't as rushed. Our surgery of the day took a little longer than expected, but it worked out just fine. We also had a dog in for a procedure this afternoon, but it involved no blood and the dog was teeny and didn't flip out when she woke up. She definitely wasn't happy, but I held her and petted her and she stayed pretty calm. CH was still out, so I still haven't gotten an in depth computer lesson, but I'm getting pretty familiar with it just from watching over people's shoulders. My head wasn't back to 100%, but at least it didn't get worse during the day. I got to leave on time (5) and in the almost 3 hours since I left, I've stopped at Trader Joe's to pick up butter and blueberries, made a homemade pizza (I made the dough on Sunday, so that was good to go, but I made the sauce and toppings), made a quiche (made the pie crust, baked it, cooked bacon and leeks for filling, made the egg filling, assembled and baked), done a load of laundry, loaded the dishwasher and washed all the dishes I used for the aforementioned baking, and fed the cats. Oh, and wrote this blog post. I might last another 45 min or so before I fall asleep.
As long as my days are mostly like today and less like yesterday, I should be ok. I think that it'll be easier when I switch to a part time schedule as well. The money aspect of working part time is probably going to be problematic, but I think it would be really good for my brain/body and getting fully recovered. I'd love to be able to take a yoga class or have some time to go swimming. Having a little extra time when I'm not completely exhausted would help me do either of those activities. Keeping up with housework is also really nice...not just for the clean house aspect, but for my morale. I feel really accomplished when I can cook actual dinner and have the house relatively in order by bedtime. I feel like such a bum on the nights when I make Josh eat leftovers and I do nothing after work. I guess I'll just have to be patient and take it slow and hopefully someday, I'll be fully functional again.
I think that was pretty ramble-y, but hopefully not too incomprehensible! I'm sure I'll be back with more tales (tails?) from work since it seems to be a crazy place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your non advanced cooking is my seriously advanced cooking. Lower your ambitions dear, have you looked at what you've done the past year and do all the time!?
You are AWESOME!
G

Rose said...

Sounds pretty crazy! Wow!