Monday, December 6, 2010

Cooking with Dog

I discovered this YouTube channel a few weeks ago and it's been keeping Josh and I entertained ever since: Cooking with Dog. If you don't have the time/internet connection/interest in checking it out, it's basically a ton of videos of a little poodle named Francis narrating Japanese recipes being cooked by a Japanese woman. I think Francis's accent is very relaxing, especially at bedtime. Last night I tried my first recipe from the Cooking with Dog channel: Gyu-don (though in my typical fashion, I modified it quite a bit!). It turned out really good and Josh and I both enjoyed it. I used the leftover thinly sliced lamb I had in the freezer from my shabu-shabu attempt awhile back and I added peas. In Francis's gyu-don recipe, they use a soft boiled egg for the topping on the beef (lamb in my case), but I opted to just pour lightly beaten egg over top of the meat before it finished cooking (like in Francis's oyaku-don recipe).
I'm having a lot of fun with my experiments in Japanese cooking and so far everything has turned out well. I'm not really sure what I'm going to try next. Before long, I'll be able to open my own Japanese comfort-food restaurant though!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks! I had a look at the show. It was fun to watch--she does everything so beautifully (those knife skills, wow!). I wonder what exactly the little rinses do to the taste/texture of each vegetable.

Anonymous said...

I want to be at the grand opening!

Jessica said...

I think Francis said in one of the videos that rinsing the onions makes them less bitter or something.