Tuesday, December 22, 2009

3 posts in one day! WooHoo! Lentil soup!

I wanted to share the recipe for my new favorite soup. This is probably the healthiest soup recipe I have ever seen and I altered it to make it even healthier. I know several of you will probably really like this and it's quick and easy to make...and super tasty.
Anyway, I started using this recipe: Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup (the entire recipe blog has cool recipes, especially if you're vegetarian. If not, be like me and add meat to everything). Since we don't do much dairy and because the yellow freaks me out, I skipped on the whole saffron yogurt idea. I got some dried French green lentils at our local natural food store and I'd recommend going with those. I have some regular old lentils in the cupboard too and the soup wouldn't be as good with those (in fact, I'm turning them into weights for pre-baking pie crusts because the french lentils are so much yummier). The main change I made to the recipe was adding a bunch of rainbow carrots, 3 stalks of celery and 2 cloves of garlic at the part when you cook the onions. And instead of water, I used the homemade turkey broth I mentioned below. I end up adding more than 2 cups of liquid...probably closer to 4 or 5. It was mostly broth, but I also rinsed the tomato can and added the tomatoey water as well. My choice of leafy green is lacinato kale. To make the soup super yummy, serve it with Parmesan cheese on top (the real stuff, not the stuff in the green canister).
My name for this soup is Anti-cancer soup because of all the nutrients in it. You should try it because cancer isn't cool. This soup tastes a billion times better than chemo.

No comments: