Saturday, November 7, 2009

I'm still alive and kicking!

I'm still here and still (mostly) well. I went to work for awhile on Thursday, though not as long as I planned. I hadn't slept well Wednesday night, so I felt kinda crappy. I came home for a nap and was feeling better in the evening, so Josh and I ventured to the Amish market. I had only wanted to get some ham, green beans and potatoes to make a favorite meal from when I was a kid...conveniently called "ham, green beans and potatoes." There's not an ATM on the way, though, and while all the stands take credit cards, most of them have a limit on how much you have to spend. So we ended up getting quite a bit more than just the 3 things on our list. It was all good stuff though (awesome cheese, ring bologna, apple cider, pumpkins for baking, iced animal crackers like they used to feed me in Sunday School). A lot of the food there is stuff that I grew up eating, so it's comfort food in a way. I'm also waiting for the day that one of the Amish people sees my name on my credit cards and tells me they know Amish Brubakers (there are some in PA that have a quilt shop....one day I'll stop and ask for a family discount!).
On Friday, I woke up with a migraine and was unable to get rid of it (still haven't succeeded). At least it was a non-cancer ailment, as annoying as it was (is). I spent most of the day trying to sleep it off. Jenny, Brent and Ellie came to visit us in the evening and we had a blast. Ellie is so fascinated by all of our critters and it's a lot of fun to watch her get so excited over a rats, geckos, frogs, and hissing cockroaches. I'm hoping she'll always think they're as cool as she does now. We keep saying we need to work on teaching her frog calls or something. We might wait till she can at least talk though. She's the only kid I know that doesn't go to daycare or school or anything, so I consider her relatively germ-free. Having to be careful about hanging out with kids is one of the sucky things about chemo.
Today has been pretty uneventful. We headed back to the Amish market to pick up a few more things. I hadn't really thought through any meal ideas for the coming week when we were there the other day, but since we planned what we want to cook, I needed to get some ingredients. We also finished the rest of our grocery shopping, came home, and both fell asleep. We have a special date planned for tomorrow night, so we moved Sunday-night-Harry-Potter-movie-night to tonight. We just finished the movie and I thought I'd post an update before bed.

No comments: