Tuesday, April 13, 2010

De-Porting

I finally got everything set up to get my port out. I met with the surgeon today and the port is coming out on Thursday. I opted to do it as an office procedure rather than a real surgery at the hospital in the OR. It'll be a lot quicker, simpler and cheaper to just do it in the office. Instead of getting knocked out completely, I'll just have local anesthesia and some ativan. Hopefully, the ativan will make me loopy enough that I don't care what they're doing to me. I'm also going to talk them into letting Josh hold my hand through the procedure for moral support. It's a little scary, but I'm betting the worst part will be getting the lidocaine injections. And it's only a 10 minute procedure, so I should be fine. My appointment isn't until 4:30, so I'll still be able to do most of the day at work.
I'm easing myself back into a full-time work schedule. My target every day is to work from 9-4 which is a 7 hr day. Doctor appointments are cutting into that quite a bit, but I'm doing pretty good. I mostly just have a tough time in the morning. My body seems to need about 11-12hours of sleep, hence the not making it to work until 9. Josh and I have been working on getting me back into better physical shape as well. We've been walking almost every night and I found some Pilates workouts on YouTube to do a couple nights a week as well. We did one on Sunday and my abs still hurt! I'm hoping I can keep up a similar routine (work, exercise, etc.) through radiation. It feels so normal to have a routine and I can tell it's good for my brain.

1 comment:

Jenny L. said...

You're amazing - take care of yourself! Glad you're making sure you get enough sleep if you're exercising too. Good luck with your port removal!