I've been meaning to update for awhile, but I've been really busy so it keeps getting pushed off. Now I just have a ton of little things to update, so I'll try a bullet point list (except the bullets aren't working, so you'll have to settle for dashes):
-This is probably old news to most by now, but Josh was offered a job at the Baltimore aquarium this week. He's going to be THE horticulturist in the new-ish Australia exhibit they opened a few years ago. He's super excited and I'm super excited! He's been a trooper the past few years working less than ideal jobs and I'm glad he'll finally be doing something that is more of what he wants to be doing. He's been trying to get a job at the aquarium for the last 6 or so years...I'm glad it finally worked out. (And for the record, we don't know if he'll be able to get you free tickets!)
-I got the notification yesterday that I was approved for the LLS co-pay assistance program!! I just have to figure out the claim process and I can get them to both pay me back for the giant scary health insurance payment I just made and for my premiums for the next few months. I'm qualified until the end of this fiscal year (6/30/11) and then I need to reapply.
-We're still stove-less :-( The induction cooker thing they brought over is, well, an induction cooker and as such, functions only with pots and pans that contain iron/stainless steel. Only one of my pans fits that qualification and it happens to be my 8qt stock pot which isn't at all useful for making simple one-dish meals. We're getting by with just my convection oven, but just barely.
-Due to the previous point, we're looking for a new place to live. So far we're not having much luck finding anything to even go look at.
-I started at the wildlife center last week and today was my 3rd day there. In the category of "why do the weirdest things happen to me?!?!," I seem to have found one of the few workplaces which still allows indoor smoking in 2011. By the center director no less. She and a few other staff members smoke in the upstairs conference room, so it's not everywhere, but the smoke was pretty noticeable today and made my throat and head hurt a bit. I think I'm going to talk to the most senior staff member who doesn't smoke when she's in tomorrow and see if I can get some insight into the situation. I'm not feeling good about it though since the indoor smoking has been the status quo for 15+ years. It'd be pretty ridiculous for me to knowingly put myself into a migraine inducing environment 25hrs a week (not to mention the effects of smoke on my lungs and whatnot. I won't even get into my thoughts on exposing sick/injured/baby animals to secondhand smoke...).
I think that's it for the time being. I'll be back with more updates as time permits!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
congrats to Josh on the job!!! The Aquarium is an awesome place to work. I volunteered there for while as an Aquarist.
If you end up working at Hopkins you could probably find a great place in the city near both jobs. The shuttle/ subway has lots of stops around the city so you wouldn't have to pay for parking.
Sucks about the smoking at the wildlife center. They should know better by now. It's banned indoors everywhere else.
Yeah, is it even legal to smoke inside in the work place?! Insanity!
Post a Comment