I got this really confusing and bizarre text message from Josh this afternoon that said "The stove is in the hallway...weird." I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about as we don't really have a hallway at home and when I sent a message back for clarification, he just said it was a long story, he'd tell me when I got home. I decided to just call him to figure out the story.
Apparently, our neighbor really dislikes my landlady and her family (I've never seen this neighbor) and really didn't like the fact that they built our apartment addition 5+yrs ago and for some reason, in an effort to stir up problems, called the county to have an inspector come out. The inspector came by today and since there's a doorway between our apartment and the landlady's part of the house, even though said doorway is sealed (literally, with Great Stuff!), there's some county code saying that a house isn't allowed to have more than 1 stove. Because of the doorway, it's all considered one residence, so they took away my stove!!!!
We have a million questions, some of which have been answered and the landlady is being relatively sympathetic about the situation, but it seems there's no long term solution in the works. My stove is gone and has been replaced with a 1-burner electric cooktop thing on a metal table. (thankfully, I have my awesome mini-oven from smoky-Joe's apartment which didn't have an oven at all). They're reducing our rent by over a third for the coming months and so far, that seems to be the end of the story. (They don't want to more permanently seal the door because it's apparently a selling point and they still intend to re-list the house and sell it). I guess KR was hoping we didn't actually cook much....we use that stove every day though (homemade dinners almost every night, breakfast some mornings and for me to reheat things since I don't like using our cruddy old microwave).
I'm completely blown away by the fact(s) that 1. apparently in over 5 years, this place has never been fully inspected and 2. What on earth does a Jewish family that keeps Kosher do since I know they sometimes have 2 stoves (for dairy and for meat)...is there some type of exemption? This is just so incredibly bizarre: who ever worries that they'll go to work and come home and have their STOVE taken?!?!?
Ultimately, this means we're going to have to move in the near future which majorly sucks. I wanted our next move to be more relaxed, not rushed. I wanted to be able to take the time to find a really perfect apartment. I also just really don't want to move. This apartment is really nice for the most part, it's affordable and in a great location. Plus, I just don't want to deal with the hassle of packing, catching all the frogs, draining tanks, moving and unpacking. I don't want to have to hunt for a new apartment and have to sort through all the scams and crappy complexes listed on craigslist.
I was absolutely livid for about 2 hrs after I found out about this, now I'm just laughing at how absurd it is! For the record though, I at least have all my insurance stuff temporarily sorted out and the job news is mostly positive. I just can't believe they took my stove!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow. I mean, really, wow. Sucks about the stove, but I guess good about the rent reduction--especially with all your job and insurance woes of late.
Just FYI, keeping kosher is just keeping the things that food touches separate--so, dishes/pots and pans/utentils, sinks, counters or just cutting boards. A kosher family would not need 2 stoves.
I thought I had a friend who kept Kosher once tell me he knew families that had 2 stoves or 2 ovens or something (maybe because of food splatters when roasting a chicken or something). Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I know not all families who keep kosher have more than 1 stove...I just thought there were some that did.
In any case, what if the Duggars lived in Mont. County?! They have like 4 stoves!!
I'm pretty sure this violates your tenant rights -- your landlady *may* be required to provide you with a working stove, and forgo her own (or seal the door.)
Post a Comment