Saturday, February 5, 2011

Time for an update

Thought I'd stop by for a bit of an update.
Things have been slowed down some at work, but it's still keeping me busy and tired seemingly all the time. My job has gotten increasingly frustrating over the past few weeks. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but at our work Christmas party, my bonus check had a note on it that I'd be getting a very large raise. I was shocked by the amount, but figured it had to do with the fact that I'd finished the "training" portion of my job rather successfully. It was a big raise, but not so big as to be completely unreasonable. It was going to be about a month before the raises kicked in. I spent those weeks blissfully relaxed, knowing that, with the raise, I'd probably be able to get by financially with just a part-time schedule. I wasn't going to have to keep hunting for another new job to pay my bills. I was also very happy to know that my boss seemed to really be pleased with the job I was doing and knowing that was a good motivator when I didn't feel well or was faced with unpleasant co-workers or customers.
(You can probably tell where this story is going....)
Well, a couple weeks ago, the raises finally kicked in. I got my first post-raise paycheck on a Thursday and opened it to realized the check had been misprinted. I gave it back to my boss and he said he'd correct it and bring me a new one the next day. I hardly looked at the paystub. It hit me, on the way home though, that the amount seemed like much less than I would have expected it to be with the new raise. I had this awful sinking feeling and it hit me that the raise must have been a mistake. I got to work the next day and opened my new paycheck to see that I was correct and the amount of my raise on my Christmas check (it was just written on a post-it stuck to the check) was completely incorrect: Instead of a raise of several dollars, my raise was just $0.50. I confirmed my suspicions in a very awkward conversation with my boss. I spent the day in a fog as it settled in that I was once again, in the spot of having nowhere near enough money to cover my bills and I'd have to start the job hunt all over again. My boss was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing. I realize everyone makes mistakes and we're all human, but him laughing it off was kinda insensitive.
On top of that, my coworker has returned from maternity leave, so I'm back down to part-time. I'm happy to have her back though and I do really enjoy having days off to catch my breath a bit. It also provides plenty of time for job hunting, which hopefully, will yield something workable soon. (To add further insult to injury, we just switched to direct deposit for our paychecks at work and this morning I discovered that mine seems to have not gone through. Thankfully no bills are due anytime soon.)

All that having been said, I'm not panicking too much. I know there's little I can do besides what I already am doing (that is, job hunting). I generally believe that things will work out in the end. Nothing is permanent and eventually, I'll be back to having enough money/health insurance and what not.

In other updates, Josh is still loving his new car. He spent last weekend hooking up his amplifier and subwoofer. I was simultaneously laughing/rolling my eyes as the windows started shaking when he first fired it up. The car is working out great though and it's nice to not have to worry about whether his car will start up or get him to work safely every day. He's just working his one job right now (plants), but art classes started up this week and I know he'll be happy to be drawing and designing again. His classes are in the afternoons two days a week and I have to say I like that schedule better than last semester's evening classes 3 days a week.
Josh spoke with our landlady's son the other day and they have apparently taken the house off the market for the time being. They may relist in the summer or next year. It's nice to know we have awhile to not worry about potentially having to move again. We just started discussing garden plans this week. The verdict is that since I was such a failure of a gardener last summer, I'm only going to take on one bed this year (as opposed to 4). I'm only going to grow greens because that's really all I'm good at and all that we really used. So: spinach, chard, kale and endive and escarole for Bombshell. Probably basil too. I think I'd make a much better livestock farmer...I should try to talk them into chickens!
After many weeks avoiding it, I seem to have caught one of the many colds going around at work. My head is stuffy, my nose is runny and at last check, my temp was 99.6. My neck nodes are all puffy trying to kill the cold. I'm amazed they weren't totally zapped by my radiation, but happy they're helping me fight off the cold. I'm taking it easy for the weekend in hopes that I'll feel better before I go to work again on Tuesday.

No comments: