Thursday, March 11, 2010

A bad decision...

I made a very unwise choice yesterday when I was getting blood drawn. Up until yesterday, I always had them draw blood from my arm rather than my port. I knew from being in the hospital that when they flush my port with heparin, it makes a really weird sensation plus a gross taste in my mouth. Because of that, I avoid having them use my port for anything but chemo.
Yesterday, however, the tech that was going to draw my blood is one who missed one time and had to dig for the vein. I didn't want to deal with that and since I remembered the heparin flush as just a passing sensation, I told him to go ahead and use my port. I think that was the worst decision I've made over the entire course of my treatment!!
It turns out that what I've been calling the "chemo taste" all along may actually have just been from the heparin flush. I wasn't prepared for it and I already had a bit of a migraine and nausea so it's was just super gross. I barely made it back home before I started puking and then I spent the rest of the day glued to the bed because of the migraine. Josh got home later on and got me some medicine that helped so I was ok again by bedtime. I could still smell the nasty taste/smell this morning. I'm amazed that such a small amount of medicine could cause so much grossness. I'm not looking forward to a repeat performance tomorrow, but at least it's my second to last chemo!!! Only 2 weeks left!

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh man I am so sorry to hear this. Are you following your own advice and drinking lots of fluids to flush that stuff out?

Jessica said...

Yup...once I stopped puking, I drank 4 or 5 big glasses of juice/water/tea. I was amazed that I could still smell the yuck in the morning.