It's absolutely beautiful out here! It's close to 60F and nice and sunny. This year, I'm extra excited for spring because it means I'll be done with chemo soon (less than 3 weeks now!). I'm also excited because it means I can start working on my garden. I ordered all my seeds and they arrived last week, so this weekend, we decided to start the first set of them. We had a really hard time finding a potting soil mix that I was comfortable using and trekked all over the place. In the end, I just gave up and decided to make my own mix. I refuse to purchase any of the MiracleGro products and everything else had ingredients like "wetting agent" (apparently a detergent) that I just don't find necessary. I loved the Vermont Compost mix I was able to get up in Mass. and after visiting the fourth store yesterday, I was getting slightly annoyed since up in Mass., I would have known 3 stores off the top of my head that would have had exactly what I wanted. It was pretty fun making my own mix though and I have tons of ingredients left to mix into the topsoil, so it wasn't a waste. I ended up using a mix of coco fiber, vermeculite and peat. (and I'm sure everyone is now wondering why I'm going into so much detail about potting soil on a cancer blog...).
We took Bombshell outside with us while we planted our first batch of seeds:
-Walla Walla onions
-Romanesco broccoli/fractalflower (it's a light green broccoli/cauliflower hybrid)
-Napa cabbage
-Lacinato Kale
-Escarole (for Bombshell)
-Endive (also for Bombshell)
-Parsley
The tray of seeds is sitting in the frog room, covered and hopefully safe from our free-range (wild) iguana. We have more seeds to start next week and pretty much every week after that until mid-May. We need to clarify with Mrs. Lee how much of the garden beds outdoors we can use, but I think it'll end up being a pretty awesome garden. I want to say that we'll definitely try out canning tomatoes this summer, but this is the third spring I've said that and it hasn't happened.
In non-garden related news, I've been feeling pretty good. I went in to work Wed-Fri. though not for very long each day. I have a big list of stuff to work on this coming week as well, so I'll be at work Mon-Thurs. I have my second-to-last chemo on Friday and I'm both excited and not-at-all-excited about that. It seems strange to think about getting back to normal and doing things like working a full week and visiting with my kid friends without worrying about germs again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment