Friday, February 12, 2010

Chemo Round 5, treatment 1

Chemo time again....I hardly got out of the house since my last chemo, so I kinda can't believe it's been 2 weeks already. They changed around my appointment because of the weather (i think), so I went in at 8 this morning. It was pretty quiet. I got to be in the smaller treatment room and I had very few neighbors. A few people were in and out for blood and one woman came back for a short infusion, but besides that, it was just me and 2 of the nurses. They're both guys and always joking around, so it was entertaining. One of them was asking me all kinds of questions about my job....they're all so amazed that I can draw blood from a bird!! I got out pretty quick and actually never noticed any nasty chemo taste, though I did have candy in my mouth the whole time. I made it home and heated up some of the ham and bean soup and homemade bread I made yesterday. It tasted great, but apparently was a bad choice as it didn't stay in my tummy long. I guess I'll wait awhile before I try another big meal. I took a big nap and I'm just taking it easy.
Apparently my blood counts were way high and since I have no signs of any infection, it's just due to the Neulasta. They didn't give me a shot today and they want me to come in for bloodwork on Monday to make sure it's gone down. If it goes down too much, they'll give me the shot sometime next week. Otherwise, I won't get the shot this time. It'll be interesting to see how I do without it since a lot of my discomfort after a chemo treatment is in the form of bone pain.
I think I've come up with a plan I like for the rest of my treatment. Dr. Sharma is in India right now, so I didn't get a chance to run it by him, but I feel like it's a good plan. It'll mean that I only have 3 more chemo treatments, then radiation. I still need to talk to a radiation oncologist to figure out the details of radiation. Once I have official details, I'll be sure to post about them. Having an end to chemo in such close sight has me over the moon though!! :-)

No comments: