This is my newest post-treatment side effect. Dr Ampey had warned me about it in passing at our first consult, so at least I was prepared. Basically, L'hermitte's syndrome is a neurological issue caused by damage to my spinal cord from radiation (it's also a symptom of MS). Basically, if I look down or move my chin towards my chest, this strange electrical shock sensation runs up my legs. It started just in my lower legs but over the past few days, it's gotten to the point that I can feel it up to my sacrum. It's not painful but it doesn't feel good either. It's not constant so that's good. Last night it was really bugging me while we were at our friends Amy & Aaron's wedding. Luckily, Josh and I aren't really dancers, so we didn't miss out on much. As long as I didn't look down I was ok.
There's nothing to do for this, but it'll supposedly just go away on it's own as my spinal cord heals.
I have an appointment tomorrow with my new primary care doctor. If you remember me mentioning Dr Tweedt, the surgeon who removed my port....his wife, also Dr Tweedt will be my new PCP until Dr. Modi starts seeing patients again. The Tweedt office is on the opposite side of Montgomery General Hospital from Dr Ampey's office, so I'm going to try to get there early and poke my head in to say hello and steal some candy from the candy basket.
Everything else is going ok, just super busy. I can't wait until it starts cooling off in the coming weeks so I can hopefully start getting out of the house for walks without melting. I still feel like I'm running on super low energy, so maybe walks will help.
As of this weekend, it's been a year since that weird lump popped up on my neck and started this whole adventure...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
we're SO similar! i just developed l'hermittes, too! i was running and looked down and felt like my legs were falling asleep. i knew right away what it was, and my rad onc isn't a bit concerned...but, ugh. i guess it's a good reminder that my body is still healing...i get frustrated when i can't do everything 'normally' yet. hope you're doing well otherwise!
Post a Comment