Monday, June 21, 2010

Made it home

Just a quick note to say that Josh and I made it home safely from our trip to PA & NY. We were really happy to have gotten to see everyone we visited!
I'm working on catching up on sleep/energy and Josh is working on catching up on household/pet chores (and sleep). He has the day off tomorrow, so I imagine he'll get all of his big to-do list done. Besides being tired, I'm still having issues with my skin hurting/tingling/burning. I called Dr. Ampey's nurse to see what she though about it and it sounded like she just thought I was nuts (I wanted to laugh, calling a doctor to say that my skin feels funny...). She's going to talk to Dr Ampey and get back to me. For now though, just a soft cotton t-shirt touching my skin is uncomfortable.
I was horribly confused this morning when I went to check the garden and found that someone had clipped off some of the upper leaves of my kale and broccoli plants. I though maybe our downstairs neighbor mistook the broccoli plant for something else and took the leaves for cooking and I was pretty annoyed by it (I've offered to share some specific plants, spinach for example, but never broccoli leaves!!). Josh and I checked it out again when I got home from work and when I realized just how many leaves were missing, I was really upset. KR, our landlady's son, was out grilling and I asked if he or his mom had gotten into the garden and told him what was missing. After chatting for a minute, he remembered that there's a groundhog living under our shed....Mystery solved! I'm slightly less annoyed that it's an animal (because really, what kind of person would defoliate a broccoli plant!), but still a but annoyed. As long as my tomatoes and my squash bed get left alone, I'm ok.

1 comment:

bugz said...

The rabbits always steal from our garden, chipmunks and birds too. Also beetles. They are so greedy and usually only eat enough to ruin it. They take a bite from a strawberry and just leave the rest. They chew the lettuce and leafy stuff to the ground. I've thought about shooting them and eating them but that seems a little messy. I've never been successful at trapping them. Good luck. I've heard that ground hogs are good to eat but never tried it. They just eat; oh yea, you know what they eat.