Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend Update + job news

We had a really nice weekend at my mom's house! We left late Friday and despite being stuck in rush hour traffic and stopping at Wegman's for subs for dinner, we still managed to make it to PA in just 3.5hrs. We ended up staying up too late once we got there (we always do...), but we got to visit with my mom and grandma K. On Saturday, we got up and met my dad for breakfast at a new(ish) little cafe in Danville called the City Girl cafe. We left there and headed to the fair. We have a pretty set routine of things to visit/eat, so we made our tour. We got Bowman's french fries first, then wandered over to see all the animal barns. They were pretty empty because it was still early in the week, but we did still get to see a pretty good variety of draft horses, oxen, pigs, sheep, goats, cows, chickens, ducks and rabbits.
Once we'd finished the barns, we got a Vince's cheesesteak and grabbed a bench in the shade in front of one of the barns to eat. We sat and people-watched for awhile until the people on the bench in front of us started smoking. We decided to go check out the Agriculture building (800+ lb pumpkins!!) and the Horticulture building (pretty lame this year). By then, I was feeling pretty over heated and we were both tired, so we decided to call it a day. I got a chocolate covered banana with sprinkles on the way out. We missed blueberry ice cream since the stand wasn't there. My mom brought home Pollack's strombolis and apple dumplings for dinner. We ate the strombolis, but saved the apple dumplings for later because we were pretty full at that point!
On Sunday, Josh and I slept in later than we have in a long time (9!). We hung out and Josh worked on homework while mom made us roast beef, mashed potatoes, carrots, gravy, devilled eggs and baked corn for a huge lunch feast. I parked on the couch for awhile after lunch to let my tummy chill out before we packed up and headed back home. I slept most of the ride home. Josh and I were so full when we got home that we didn't even bother with dinner last night. We have a fridge full of food, so we're pretty much set for the rest of the week.

In other news, for a variety of reasons I probably shouldn't post on a semi-public blog, I found out last week that my contract at work isn't going to be renewed past the end of Oct. I'm not thrilled about that news, mainly because of the stress of having to find a new job, but at the same time, I'm pretty relieved because my job itself was getting to be overly stressful. (It was also, uh, interesting to essentially get fired one year to the date that I found out I had cancer....) I'm hoping to find a vet tech job, but we'll see what pops up. I'm learning that I have what seems like a whole new brain to deal with when considering my skills/qualifications. It's frustrating to suddenly not be able to rely on yourself to do things that were formerly easy(ier). In any case, I'm just hoping this will be a good/smooth transition to a new, relatively stress-free, job that has adequate benefits and pays enough to cover my bills + a little extra. Unfortunately, I can't seem to convince Josh to let me be his full time housewife :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the weekend was fun and I'll say a prayer and light a candle to get some divine help in landing your dreamjob!
HUGS!