Sunday, September 27, 2009

Start at the Beginning

Starting with the FAQs...

What makes you think you're cool enough that people care what you have to write about?

Um, I just found out I have lymphoma. Does that make me cool enough?

Maybe... But, who on earth are you?

I'm Jessica. I'm 26 and I live near DC. I have an awesome job playing with birds and robots (but not robotic birds, sadly). I live with my boyfriend/partner of 3.5 years and a small zoo of critters
(2 cats, 3 rats, 1 iguana, 2 turtles, 2 leopard geckos, a bunch of poison dart frogs and a tank of Madagascar hissing cockroaches). I like farming and cooking and I'm a self-admitted food snob. I'm an aspiring hippie and when I grow up, I want to be a mom and a vet.

So, what's lymphoma?

Lymphoma is a type of blood cancer. There are 2 main sub-types: Hodgkin Lymphoma and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. There are about 70 different specific types of lymphoma. I don't know what kind I have yet since I'm still new to this. Ask me later next week.

How are you feeling?

Physically, I'm mostly ok. I'm tired. I get sweaty at night and sometimes I have a little fever. I'm still going to work though.
Mentally, I'm coping pretty well. I've had and continue to have moments of tears, but most of the time I'm ok. I think this totally sucks. But there's nothing I can do to change so I just have to get through it. And I find it easier to get through things with a sense of humor. In the past week, I've already had so many absurd things happen...just this diagnosis is absurd. I'm sitting back and enjoying the hilarious side of this.

How long have you been sick?

I've only known about the lymphoma for about a week. We found it after some odd lumps popped up on my neck. I thought they were muscle knots, but they turned out to be the farthest thing from that. My doctor thinks this has been going on for quite sometime, but there's not much way of knowing how long.

What happens to you next?

Next step is a biopsy to determine what kind of lymphoma this is. After that, I meet with an oncologist to come up with a treatment plan. It'll most likely be chemo, maybe with some added radiation. I'll keep you updated.

Last question, what's the deal with hats?

Well, I like hats. I'm looking on the bright side. Chemo is gonna suck. But at least I really like hats!

No comments: